Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dr. Cella's Sing Along Review

HEY, guess what?

ACT ('A Contemporary Theater') in Seattle is hosting a stage production of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog'; the online cult classic series created by Joss Whedon.

And your favorite neighborhood blogger was there, for free, on opening night.

How did this happen, you ask?

Completely by accident.

You see, as well as being a literary expert and all-around fantastic person, my bosses wife is also heavily involved in ACT and the theater scene in Seattle.

Which leads to conversations like this:







And because my boss and his wife are so involved in the theater scene, and contribute both their time and money to shows on a very consistent basis, they get treated like rockstars.
Which is how I ended up with a fantastic seat for the (sold out) opening night of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' performed by the Balagan theater company.

Now, before Friday night I was completely unfamiliar with the entire cult phenomenon that is 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog'.
For those who have never heard of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog', let me just say I pity you.
'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' is the brain child of Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and is an over the top, fantastically morally ambivalent, piece of comedy gold that is so funny it makes my hair red.




You can watch the online version here.

Also, the main character is played by Neil Patrick Harris.
That's right.
Neil Patrick Harris.

A man who is so funny I'm 99% sure that he's actually the second coming of Jesus.



Now, the stage version of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' performed at ACT did not include Neil Patrick Harris; but that's pretty much the only negative thing I can say about it.

The actors were fantastic, funny, and made the show their own.

Though the stage production was, as expected, a verbatum rendition of the online show, the actors liberally dosed the play with their own humor, and some side-grabbingly funny pop-culture references.

They also preformed a fantastic and original intermission show; the highlights of which include...

A cheerfully and jaw-dropping politically incorrect song called 'No Asians in the Movies'

A duet about the cut throat life of actors called '10 Dollar Solo'

And a painfully accurate portrayal of the narcissism of the acting profession in the form of a song called 'It's All About Me'





If you have never seen the online show, go watch it right now.
And, whether you've seen it or not, go check out the stage performance of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog', playing now in Seattle as soon as possible.
Seriously.
The show is only here for a limited time, and it's already nearly sold out.
Go get your goddamn tickets, right now

Neil Patrick Jesus commands you.



















Besides the play, the rest of my night was horrific.

I forgot where I parked, and wondered around lost in the three block radius around my car for an entire hour.




Then, after asking directions from three very polite Indian gentlemen and an overly flirtatious Ethiopian gentleman, I managed to find the parking center where I'd lost my car.


At which point my GPS had an identity crisis, and decided it really would rather be a paper weight.


Which left me in an unfamiliar area of Seattle with no idea where to go to get on the freeway.

It was nearly midnight by the time I got home.
All because I was born without any sense of direction or awareness of my surroundings.

My sense of direction is as useless as a raccoon with an eggbeater.

1 comment:

  1. I am sincerely jealous! I love Dr. Horrible's sing-along Blog. :)

    ReplyDelete