Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hawaii

If you've been reading my other posts, you know that I spent my Christmas in Hawaii.




My inability to fit in aside, Hawaii was fantastic.

Great food.
Fantastic weather.
Freakin' spinner dolphins.
Hawaii was great.

There were a few noticeable differences between Seattle and Hawaii, however.

You see, at home in Seattle, everyone I know constantly caters to my self esteem in the most superfluous way possible.

I canter around like child, and demand undivided attention at the drop of a hat, and, for whatever reason, it works.

This is considered a normal conversation in my house:














Five minutes later...




And my father isn't the only one to blame...


I've gotten so used to this treatment, I now expect it everywhere.










But this wasn't the only difference I noticed between home and Hawaii.

So I present to you, my friends,
The Things I Noticed in Hawaii

1. People in Hawaii have no understanding of 'traffic lanes'




2. People in Hawaii have no understanding of the concept of 'turn signals'

I don't think I ever once saw someone use a turn signal properly while on the Big Island.
Healthy living has somehow given them all the ability to miraculously interpret which direction people intend on driving...

3. People in Hawaii have a strange understanding of 'time'

This is an actual conversation that took place outside my mother's house one morning.

Mom to her husband, Howie: 'What time are you planning on going and opening the shop this morning?"

Howie: "Nine thirty, I think"

Cella: "... it's ten right now..."

Howie: "Great, then I have time for a shower"

Shops there opened 'whenever', and no one seemed to mind or even notice.
If there were watches that were specifically tailored to Hawaiians, it would have two times on it:

-Before noon, and
-After noon

4. Fish are awesome

Seriously awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Humumu, nice job with the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The humumu is probably the coolest thing I've ever drawn in my 'stick figure' collection.

    ReplyDelete