Monday, September 13, 2010

Adventures at Bumbershoot

Considering how often I talked up the Bumbershoot music festival to my Australian friends, I was suspiciously reluctant to go.
The reason? Besides my inability to grasp even the most simple musical concepts, and thus enjoy a concert for anything other than people watching, I didn't want to shell out forty bucks to walk around and be a victim of 'unintentional' frottage by stoned teenagers.

I get enough uninvited bodies rubbing against me walking around my building, thank-you-very-much-city-of-Seattle-for-putting-a-methadone-clinic-there.

But I couldn't resist a free ticket.

And it just so happened that my wonderful Stephanie not only had a free ticket, she had two; So, one for me and one for (the also wonderful) Kallista.

Kallista and I were so excited, we couldn't wait for Stephanie (who, due to babysitting commitments, would be joining us later).

We decided to head down hours before hand, and check out all the amazing things to do.

So, with me bursting with excitement, and Kallista looking like a fashion queen as always, we raced inside the festival and prepared ourselves for amazingness.





















This seemed like the greatest idea in the world when we thought of it.
Kallista needed a new wardrobe for fall, I needed a trench coat (people had finally forgotten about the matrix, and before some other movie ruined them again I NEEDED ONE).

The only problem was that the only good shopping places around were downtown. Which was a bit of a trek (at least a thirty minute walk). And we were both wearing four inch heeled boots.



It didn't take long before I started to complain.





Kallista lasted much longer.
But boots were not meant for walking long distances, up and down hills.
And even Kallistas pain tolerance was no match for our stupidity.









We finally stumbled back to the festival late for when we had arranged to met Stephanie.
Not that it mattered too much, as Stephanie was still occupied.



















We watched the Israeli jugglers finish their act (the were spectacular), and Stephanie delivered the little sociopath to their waiting arms.
We were finally free to enjoy the festival!

Except for the sudden awareness I had that I hadn't eaten all day, and we had just walked well over a mile.







I couldn't leave the festival just to get food.
But I'd been keeping so healthy for the last few weeks it seemed a shame to throw it all away.

In the end, my body won out, and it demanded I feed it immediately.
Rather than going by taste, I picked the stand with the shortest line.

Big mistake.

It was a pizza stand.



My Hawaiian pizza was little more than a mushy lump of dough covered in greasy cheese and a few pieces of pineapple. There was no meat to be found anywhere on its glistening surface, and for that I was actually thankful.

The whole thing cost six bucks. Without a drink.





Disappointed in my pizza, I left early and came home to feel sorry for myself and drink a bottle of pepto bismol.

1 comment:

  1. regarding the utili-kilt, there definitely was a utili-kilt stand near the center house, which me and dad were horrified by but also a little amused with the fact that someone made money off of them

    ReplyDelete