Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Spiders are One of the Top 10 Causes of Car Accidents*

I've been working on a blog post about Regression Man and Bag Monkey - two cartoon characters I drew for friends over the years, and am still very fond of.

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for that delightful post.

Because this happened:

I was driving to work Tuesday morning, enjoying the beautiful day, and listening to a highly repetitive tape of GRE words.




"Number 61: Bifurcate. Verb. B - I - F - U - R - C - A - T - E. To divide into two parts"



"Number 62: Blithe. Adjective. B - L - I - T - H - E. Joyful. Cheerful without appropriate thought."







"Number 63: Bolster. Verb. B - O - L - S - T - E - R. To prop up or support."





"Number 64: Cabal. Noun. C - A - B - A - L....








Now, I've lived in a country with some of the scariest spiders in the world.
I have faced pure evil in the form of a spider the size of a dinner plate (don't believe me? Google image Huntsman spider. I dare you)

But I have never been trapped in a car with a spider before this moment. Especially not a fluorescent orange garden spider.

I tried desperately to focus on the road.
But the spider was rather persistent.






I drove the rest of the way, keeping as far away from the spider as possible.










Normally, I never kill spiders. I get Joshua to pick them up and take them outside.

I never understand killing things. It's one of the many reasons I'd be a terrible hunter (that, and my bad vision, aim, and tendency to startle when I hear loud noises. I'd be very lucky if I went 5 mins without shooting someone).

But Joshua was very, very far away. And the spider was very, very close.
I couldn't bring myself to pick him up.

And I knew I couldn't leave him in my car...

There was only one thing to do...































I'm so, so sorry, Mr. Spider.

You will be missed.














*This is actually a total lie. I can't find any statistics to back this up... but doesn't it SOUND like something that could be true?

No comments:

Post a Comment